Tuesday, October 2, 2012

To Wikipedia or to not Wikipedia

Do I trust Wikipedia? I do and I don't for different reasons. For example I don't because if I have an important project due than I wouldn't trust this site because Wikipedia is the type of website that you can edit the article in any way (besides advertisements). So I wouldn't trust it because anyone can come and edit it and I wouldn't know if they were incorrect or even joking. On the other hand I trust this site because on most big search engines such as Google or Bing, Wikipedia is listed at the top of the page the majority of the time. Also I trust it because some articles say its almost as accurate as britannica (basically an online encyclopedia). Another reason why I trust Wikipedia is because in case of a mistake in the text, say, a spelling error or an incorrect statement you can contrast the information to fix it for the benefit of others. For the most part I trust Wikipedia but in some cases I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment